The environment in which we live includes a variety of features that may be natural or man-made, physical or perceived. Protecting natural and cultural features and minimizing impacts of transportation projects on the environment are important considerations in transportation planning. It is important to achieve a balance between economic development and mobility with the desire for a high quality of life that includes clean air and water, environmental preservation, and recreational opportunities.
KTMPO coordinates with the following statewide agencies in identifying areas of environmental sensitivity and developing mitigation strategies.
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
- Texas Historical Commission
- US Fish & Wildlife Service
- Texas Parks and Wildlife
- Texas Water Development Board
- Clearwater Underground Water Conservation District
By working with these statewide agencies, KTMPO can develop mitigation strategies that can decrease the effect that transportation projects have on the environment.